The Sixth Conjugate Margins Conference returned to Halifax, Nova Scotia — the place of its inception — and again held at Dalhousie University from August 19–22, 2018.
Halifax 2018 was a great success attracting 223 delegates from 13 countries with 124 presentations (81 oral and 43 poster) given over the three-day event. The two conference field trips, two short courses (one classroom and the other field), and core workshop were fully subscribed. The CGG seismic data room and other corporate, institutional, and society displays were of great interest to delegates. We were most appreciative of the many kind words and positive feedback about the conference expressed to us by the delegates, some of whom shared them again after the event.
We were pleased to open the conference with Dalhousie University’s awarding of an honorary doctorate degree to Dr. John F. Dewey of University College Oxford, and his giving the conference plenary address. This award was in recognition of his important contributions to earth science, teaching and mentorship to generations of students, and unselfish collaboration with colleagues and associates around the world.
As in previous conferences, student participation was encouraged through volunteer opportunities and presentation of their research, with the latter recognised by the Student Presentation Awards. These are judged by industry peers, and we congratulate the following students for their winning oral and poster presentations:
- First: Mr. Emmanuel Roquette — University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- Second: Ms. Jessica Franklin — National University of Ireland-Galway, Galway, Ireland
- Third: Mr. Chris Sangster — Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Canada
- Honorable Mention: Ms. Bébhinn Anders — National University of Ireland-Galway, Galway, Ireland
Poster (sponsored by ExxonMobil)
- First: Ms. Naila Dowla — University of Houston, Houston, USA
- Second: Mr. Kenneth Martyns-Yellowe — Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- Third: Ms. Laura Berdi — Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Dublin, Ireland
We were encouraged by the strong industry representation and response to our Call for papers at this year’s conference that together bodes well for future Conjugate Margins Conferences, and look forward to the next gathering that will be held in Morocco in late 2020.
Please visit the Conference Archive Webpage to download the following publications from the 2018 event:
- Program & Short Abstracts
- Extended Abstracts [available January 2019]
- Field Trip 1: Carboniferous to Triassic source rock successions in the Maritimes, Canada
- Field Trip 2: Onshore equivalents of the Cretaceous reservoir rocks of the Scotian Basin: Detrital petrology, tectonics and diagenesis
- Short Course 2: Salt Tectonics Field Seminar: Diapirs and Associated Deformation
- Core Workshop Extended Abstracts: Cores of Offshore Atlantic Canada Clastic and Carbonate Reservoirs, Facies & Sequences
The organizers of the Conjugate Margins Conference sincerely thank our sponsors, partners, and supporters who contributed financially and/or in-kind to the Conference’s success.
Diamond — $15,000+